NSW schools offer special religious education and special education in ethics. Approved providers deliver these, where available.
Write to the school if you wish to withdraw your child from special religious education, sometimes known as scripture. Special education in ethics is an option for your primary-age child if you withdraw them from special religious education. For more information, visit Religion and ethics.
At Burwood GHS, SRE is delivered on Tuesdays, 10:10am to 10:40am, for Years 7 to 12.
On enrolment, parents/carers will be given the SRE participation letter (updated 31 Jan 2022) (PDF 200KB) to complete and return. After the initial enrolment, notification of changes to a student's enrolment in SRE or private study should be given in writing to the principal, either in a letter or using the above SRE participation letter template.
The following SRE classes are offered at Burwood GHS:
- Greek Orthodox SRE is provided by Saint Nectarios Burwood. For more information about Greek Orthodox SRE, including the authorised curriculum scope and sequence, please visit Greek Orthodox Archdiocese of Australia (Redfern)
- Hindu SRE. For more information about Hindu SRE, including the authorised curriculum scope and sequence, please visit The Hindu Council of Australia (Homebush)
- Islam - ICPA. For more information about ICPA, including the authorised curriculum scope and sequence, please visit Islamic Charity Projects Association (Bankstown)
- Islam - Combined AIES and ICNSW (Sunni Islam). For more information about AIES (Australian Islamic Education Services) and ICNSW (Islamic Council, NSW), including the authorised curriculum scope and sequence, please visit Australian Islamic Education Services and Islamic Council of New South Wales
- Protestant SRE is provided by a combination of providers: St James Croydon (Anglican Diocese of Sydney), Petersham Assembly of God (Australian Christian Churches), Concord Baptist Church (Baptist Union of NSW) and Cornerstone Concord (Presbyterian Church of Australia NSW). For more information about Protestant SRE, including the authorised curriculum scope and sequence, please visit: Anglican Diocese of Sydney, Australian Christian Churches, Baptist Union of NSW, Presbyterian Church of Australia (NSW).
- Roman Catholic SRE is provided by Holy Innocents' Parish Croydon. This Parish belongs to the Catholic Archdiocese of Sydney. For more information about Roman Catholic SRE, including the authorised curriculum scope and sequence, please visit Catholic Diocese of Sydney
During the time that SRE classes are held, students not attending will be located in a separate space (roll call room) and will participate in private study (with their roll call teacher).
SEE is provided by Primary Ethics. For more information about SEE, including authorised curriculum scope and sequence, please visit Primary Ethics. Ethics classes are not available at Burwood GHS.
Other activities of a religious nature
Our school sometimes offers an Interschool Christian Fellowship group, known as FROG, every Friday at recess. Further information about FROG and permission note (PDF 188KB). Contact the school to find out if FROG is currently available.